Raise your hand if you can’t remember the last time you had a REAL date night… My kid is 9 months old, and this was the first time we had left him for more than a couple of hours! What’s the occasion? Valentine’s Day! My hubby planned a fancy dinner at a new restaurant followed by a comedy show- food and laughter- my two favorite things! For this, I knew I wanted to make something special!
I had been envisioning a wrap dress for quite some time… I just didn’t quite know how I wanted to make it! Enter, the Mama Claire from Made for Mermaids. When I saw this crossover top, I just knew it could be hacked into the perfect maxi wrap dress!
And the Mama Claire pattern, I whipped up my own maxi!
1. I used the top pieces from the Mama Claire, and extended each panel down to maxi length. You may want to use your favorite fitted dress pattern to assist you here. This gives you three long panels like in the graphic above.
2. Cut out your coordinating sleeves from the pattern (I did 3/4 length).
3. Cut out your ties- I did two instead of the one pictured above. I wanted to do a bow instead of a button. My dimensions were waist size + 14″x 4″, and 14″ x 4″.
4. Cut out your neck bands using the Mama Claire pattern.
5. Follow steps 4 and 5 above, then attach the neckband as the pattern directs.
7. Follow step nine, and hem the two panel pieces up the sides.
8. I added a KAM snap to hold the inside panel in place, but that is completely optional!
There you have it! I am in love with the dress and how it hugs my curves in all the right places! The fabric is double brushed poly from Love Adore Knit Fabrics. I used 3 yards and had a little bit leftover.