I love my dogs. I really do! I can deal with the crazy shedding, the obsessive licking, and all the other nasty things they do, but what I can’t handle? Nasty booty breath. Especially having a baby who loves to give them kisses…
Buying them special breath freshening treats was getting expensive, so I decided to get creative! First, a couple of things about the not so secret ingredients:
Activated Charcoal: Often used when dogs have ingested toxins, activated charcoal has be found to significantly decrease body and breath odors, indigestion, diarrhea, and help with many other issues.
Peppermint Essential Oil: Soothes the stomach and freshens the breath! Do not substitute with a mint extract.
Coconut Oil: Aids in digestion, helps bad breath, and acts as a natural antibacterial, among other things!
Fresh Parsley: Fights bad breath, boosts the immune system, acts as an anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and more!
Fresh Breath Treats
Makes: 2 and 1/2 dozen treats
- 2 cups of flour
- 2/3 cups of oatmeal (not quick oats)
- 6 tbsp food safe, activated charcoal
- 1/2 a bunch of fresh chopped parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of peanut butter (xylitol free)
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil, unmelted
- 10 drops food grade peppermint essential oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately, then fold together in a large bowl. The mixture should hold together like dough. You may need to add a little bit of water or flour to help it all stick together.
- Oil the clean counter so the dough will not stick.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out on the counter to the desired thickness, and cut out the treats with a cookie cutter.
- Bake on greased cookie sheets for 20 minutes.
- Allow the treats to cool and harden completely before removing them from the cookie sheets.
Even my picky dog on the left loves these treats! This is a cheap, natural way to keep your dog’s breath smelling fresh and clean!